Moving to a new living space can be stressful and overwhelming. Besides the time and nerves you are about to spend, many moving costs can tighten your budget.
Thankfully, there are many ways to arrange your removal at a final bargain price. In this helpful article, you can read many tips, tricks, and tested practices that minimise moving costs.
Leave your doubts aside and read them all before you start planning this life-changing process.
Hiring The Best Man and Van Option on A Budget
The experts recommend estimating the cost of moving in advance. You can get an average final price of the removal through online calculators.
During the calculations, you will notice that one of the highest prices you should pay is for the moving company. But spending your entire salary on man and van service is not a must. If you spend a little bit of time researching the market, you can eventually come up with a great deal on a budget.
Don’t hesitate to look for discounts and companies with non-stop promotions on their websites.
Avoiding Costly Peak Moving Times
No matter what moving company you choose, booking an emergency service will cost you a lot. Your moving date is a general factor determining the total final price.
For example, there are concrete periods during the year when removal services get more expensive. These periods are usually from May to September or are the most convenient for moving out of the season.
You can save substantially if you can relocate in October or during the first spring days.
Decluttering Can Save You Extra Expenses
Proper de-cluttering preparation before packing is a great budget-friendly approach to reducing the final moving cost.
First of all, it will help you understand in advance how many storage boxes you will need, so you will avoid buying unnecessary pieces.
Second of all, while de-cluttering, you will find many items you don’t want or need to get to your new home. By throwing them away, you will make savings from extra cardboard boxes.
What’s even more incredible is that you can earn cash from these unwanted items. Those things that still function and look good enough can be displayed at your garage sale a few days before the removal.
Try To Find Free Packing Materials
You must face the removal to discover the shocking fact that packing materials are expensive.
This is why people start by equipping themselves with storage boxes before even calling the man and van consultant to book a service. It would also be good for you to begin the removal arrangement with the storage supply.
Thus you can go through all the free alternatives, such as:
- Search in your own home. You’ve got lots of storage items to use. Fill all your suitcases, knapsacks, shopping bags, etc. Then, look for shoes and electric device boxes. These boxes can accommodate the original items they were made for or some other baggage.
- Borrow cardboard boxes and other moving supplies from close people who recently moved out. They can even get you some tips from their own experience.
- Visit your local supermarket or grocery store. Ask the manager or the consultant if there’s any possibility for you to receive the boxes in which their stock supplies arrive. You might need to wait for the next store delivery, so plan this visit as early as possible.
- Find a social media group for removal tips. Make sure it’s British and ask the members if there’s someone in your region with unneeded boxes.
Packing Smartly is The Budget-friendly Packing Approach
If you pack your items smartly, you will save time. How does this happen? It happens by taking most of all moving supplies. Otherwise, you will spend more boxes, respectively more money.
Here are some helpful tips that will make your packing process smarter and cheaper:
- Don’t leave a box empty. On mandatory, fill in the gaps with other items or with soft belongings to avoid cracks, scratches, and damages (blankets, towels, etc.);
- Have boxes of all sizes and use the smallest for the heaviest items;
- Always arrange the heaviest items at the bottom of the box. Then, place on them the lightest things;
- Use your sweaters to coat delicate, fragile items to save money from bubble wrap;
- Think out of the box and re-use any item that looks and can work as a box. If it doesn’t have a lid, cover it with books, then apply a piece of cardboard and tape it all over.
Consider Disassembling Furniture
Depending on the volume of your luggage, the moving company will send you one or two vehicles. You don’t have a second one, even if you have large furniture items. They can be dismantled and fit the single van free space.
Disassembling the furniture is a tip not to underestimate if the item is antique, delicate, or fragile. Stored in pieces, it will be well-protected during the road trip.
Think About Using Storage Units
We suggest hiring storage units for those of you who cannot fit one van or will relocate close to their current property.
This service doesn’t save lots of money but will make your complete removal less stressful and more convenient. Since this is a pad service, do your homework in advance to try to find the most bargain deal like you did with the moving company selection.
Get Help from Friends and Family – It’s Free
Movers must be paid, but your colleagues, cousins, neighbours, and family don’t. Take benefit of their free-of-charge friendly help. Sort your assistants into groups to make the process optimal – one for the de-cluttering, another for packing, and people who can drive you directly to your new home.
We live in tough financial times when all savings matter. Changing your home requires money, so you should do your best to eliminate too many expenses during the removal. Try all our tips, and don’t hesitate to use your own approaches to seek bargain deals.